Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Roll up the rim ... to lose ...

Location: Ontario, Toronto
Industry: Restaurant md
Company: Tim Hortons

So today I purchased my 20th Tim Horton's coffee since the Roll Up The Rim event started for this year. So far, zero wins.... that's right, not even a muffin... nothing. I think I am the most unlucky person on the face of the earth because the probability of that happening is pretty damn low. How low, you ask?

P(r) = (n!/(r!(n-r)!))*(p^r)*(q^(n-r))
n = number of Roll Up The Rim attempts = 20
r = number of Roll Up The Rim wins = 0
p = probability of a win = 1/9
q = (1-p) = 8/9

So the probability of me losing in 20 tries is: 9.48%
unlucky? uh, yeah. You can use this to find out how lucky you are if you want.

4 comments:

  1. haha, I down about 10 coffee's a day depending on the hours I work, and average 1 win every 2nd day.

    That 1 in 9 is bullshit, and I could swear I've felt the roll up part feeling a bit softer than the other parts of the rim.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your Horton's location must have got all the 'no win' cups in the last supply shipment. Actually, I stand corrected, you didn't specify if this was the same location so yes, YOU ARE THE UNLUCKIEST ROLL-UP-THE-RIM-TO-WIN PLAYER ON THE PLANET. Lmao. >;-]

    ReplyDelete
  3. last time tim's had roll up the rim I won 6/33 :) donuts 2x, coffoe 4x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't understand how this is an example of poor service... or are you suggesting the people working at Tim's have somehow come up with a way to make sure you get only no-win cups?

    ReplyDelete